…I like the Yahoo purchase of Tumblr (if it happens).
Tumblr needs something to happen. This is clear. The team in place has taken the company as far as it can go. They are creators - builders of stuff - they are not managers. This lack of experience has caused issues at Tumblr that have hurt the company in the short term and are potentially devastating in the long term. They have lost a ton of good people over the last 18 months due to internal and organizational strife. This needs to end. David needs to be free to do what he does best: concept and build amazing things.
Yahoo has the potential to be a great home for Tumblr. Marissa Mayer knows what she is getting with Tumblr: an extraordinary and special entity. She is not going to allow Yahoo to make the same mistakes that they made with Flickr. She understands product and the importance of good design, two key elements of Tumblr’s success.
Will there be more ads? Yes. But frankly the Radar ad product is awful and there needs to be iteration here. You can’t be as big as Tumblr is and hope there will not be ads. What we can hope for - no, what we can demand - is better ads that enhance the overall Tumblr experience vs. detracting from that experience.
Tumblr really can’t raise any more money. At least not the kind of round that would put them on a path to satisfy the business goals of the board and investors. And there is so much they need to do (FIX SEARCH). An acquisition by Yahoo will allow these things to happen and remove pressure from David and his key people.
A sale will also result in Yahoo gaining some really terrific, brilliant and visionary employees. These people can impact other Yahoo products and help Yahoo become great again. There is value in this…for all of us. I don’t want to see Yahoo fail. Yes, a lot of what Yahoo has done and is doing sucks. But there are smart exciting people trying to change that. And we should support them. Yahoo can be great again. And Tumblr can be a driving force for that change.
Evan nailed it here. Nothing to add.
The USS Enterprise with its not-often-mentioned Yogurt Emitter Array from the unaired Season 4 premiere. Kirk, Spock, and Bones beam down to the planet Activia where they come across a young girl (Jamie Lee Curtis) who appears to hold the key to special colonic healing powers. But all is not what it seems.
I may never laugh again. I have blown a funny fuse. The one that got me? Boilerdang Curdlesnoot.
oh my god tears are actually falling down my face
Don’t ask me why, but at some point while reading these, I completely lost the ability to breathe I was laughing so hard. I don’t know why they struck me as so funny. But they kinda are.
bryanthephotogeek: I am Benedict Thundercats. I thought you’d enjoy this.
i’m backitup benadryl. and i’m okay with that.
I’m Brodyquest Combyourthatch.
And I’m okay with that as well.
Always post the rules. (check)
Answer the questions of the person who tagged you and write 11 new questions. (check and check)
Tag 11 new people and link them to the post.
Let them know you tagged them. (see end of post for details)
I was tagged by @amileormoreinmyshoes, who is a lovely person, despite her love for the “team up north” in the Mitten State.
Here are my answers:
1. What are your two most prized possessions?
My wedding ring and the book Stacie made me last year for my 40th birthday that included letters from family and friends from all over.
2. If you could meet anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why?
To answer this honestly right now, it would have to be a bunch of Tumblrererers that I have had the honor of becoming such good friends with over the past few years. Soon…
3. You’ve been given the choice between two super powers: invisibility or flight. Which do you choose and why?
Flight. Invisibility is…um…well…creepy.
4. What is your most embarrassing moment?
I don’t know if I have a MOST embarrassing moment. I was de-pantsed once during a high school drama class while on stage delivering a monologue by a good friend and fellow prankster. I managed to finish the monologue pantsless.
5. If given the choice between 1 best friend or 10 acquaintances which would you choose?
I cherish the close friendships I have in my life, so definitely the former.
6. What are your 4 favorite bands/artists?
I’ll give you my top 4 right now, or the top 4 that I would pay almost anything to see live:
Over the Rhine
Runners up include Rush, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, Tower of Power, Damien Rice, The Police, and A Perfect Circle.
7. List 6 (you and I know there are way more, but I had to draw the line somewhere!) of your best qualities or attributes.
- I’m a pretty darn good cook.
- I’m good at what I do, and I work hard to keep it that way.
- I’m a loyal friend.
- I can be empathetic to a fault.
- People seem to like my sense of humor.
- I’m a good dad.
8. What are 2 of your “vices”?
Food and too much food.
9. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
I tend to prefer the canine species.
10. What show/song/band/book series is your guiltiest pleasure?
I kind of tend to fall into the Scott Friday school of thought on guilty pleasures. If I like something, I’m not afraid to admit it. Same as if I don’t like something that everyone else in the world seems to like. So the better question would be to ask me if I like a certain thing. I’ll always give an honest answer.
11. Have you smiled today?
Yes, I have. Even when I’m feeling my worst, my kids always give me a reason to smile.
Alright, so now I have to come up with 11 original questions, right? And then tag a buncha people and see if they decide to answer them? Okay, think I got this. Here goes:
- Describe your dream vacation.
- If the TARDIS landed on your front yard: Which Doctor would you hope would jump out, and where would you ask him to take you (time, place)?
- What’s your favorite dessert?
- What album or artist do you most enjoy listening to when you are feeling melancholy?
- What is one art form (painting, poetry, whatever) that you would like to either try or get better at?
- Your house is burning down? Your friends/roommates/family/pets have all made it out safely, and you have time to grab 3 things before the entire place is engulfed in flames. What do you grab?
- What is the best and worst piece of advice anyone has ever given you, and who was it that gave you this advice?
- Name a movie you were super pumped to go see, but once you saw it and were leaving the theater, you found yourself thoroughly disappointed. Oh, and to make this more difficult, it can’t be Star Wars Episodes 1-3 (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Jedi).
- Name a movie or a book that you weren’t that excited to see or read, but once you started it, you found yourself completely consumed by it and it became one of your favorites.
- I’m coming to your city to visit. Name the 3 must-see or must-do things that we will be enjoying while I’m there.
- What fictional character from literature, popular fiction, film, or TV do you feel like you relate to most and why?
There you go. And, as always, instead of tagging individuals, I’m leaving these questions open to all of my followers, since these are things I think I might like to know about most all of you. Have at it!
Because I missed his birthday yesterday, here’s a bit of Stevie for you today. One of the GREATEST ever, hands down.