What classic TV show or movie do you feel has the most underrated VFX?
There are a few that come to mind, with one of them being a show that you and I both mutually enjoy quite a bit.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (TV)
Ever since the team at CBS/Paramount started their restoration of the series to full HD for Blu-ray release, going back to the original footage, original models, and original VFX plates, it’s been amazing to see how truly groundbreaking and beautiful the effects were, and how much we the viewers at home were missing out on due to poor tape transfers and lossy compression upon broadcast.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (film)
There are very few special-effects heavy films from the ’70s and ’80s that stand up to how seamless modern visual effects look, save for the Star Wars Trilogy and some of Spielberg’s films. The reason 2001 stands so tall is not only how seamless and realistic the effects are, but the fact that it laid the groundwork, and even set the bar, for all sci-fi films to come. Think about it: this film was released in 1968. I challenge you to watch it side-by-side with Star Wars: A New Hope, a film that was released 9 years later, and see much of a difference.
- Farscape (TV)
There is one thing the Jim Henson Company does better than anyone else: make us believe that a creature or alien made of foam and fabric is actually a living, breathing thing. Not only that, we find ourselves caring deeply for these characters, whether it be loving them or/and hating them. Add to the fact that the rest of the visual effects on the show being top-notch, the world of Farscape feels as real as our own. Great stuff.
There are some others, but those 3 in particular stand out to me.
Okay, on to happier things.
So, I haven’t forgotten about it, but I’ve simply had no time to record a video to do the giveaway. Here’s what I’m going to do instead: I will list all of the finalists for this round below, in no particular order. Later today, I’ll shoot a crude, crappy cell phone video of Arwen pulling the winner out of a hat, and then I will officially “like” that post. I’ll then contact that person via Tumblr’s incredibly crude and unreliable messaging system and let them know they’ve won. Once I know that they know that they’ve one, I will announce the winner by posting the video.
Here are the finalists:
- Chloe & Auntie Val’s Play Day - evangotlib
- Kelly Walks 37,450 Steps In One Week! - kvknowsherfun
- Ermergerd! Robots and tea! Tea robots! - clairesalcedo
- Eff Yes! KMFDM! - causticgrip
- Sam Monday - herblondness
- The Modern Essential Overnight Kit - section9
- Lily’s Half-Birthday - wheremygreengrassgrows
- Everyone Will Have Coffee In The 23rd Century - confusedfriendliness
- Weather People Are The Worst - jennhoney
- Gonna Need A New Blog Title - ourtwolittlemonkeys
- The Final 10 Minutes of “Six Feet Under” - inothernews
- Doing Late Dinner Right - womaninterrupted
- Here, Look At My Dog - runeybadger
- Shameless Pandering For More Free Coffee - middlemanagementlivingthedream
- Here, Look At Baby Widget - ladyofthehouse
Okay, that’s 15 finalists culled down from over 80 potentials. Not bad. We’ll get the video shot and up later today, hopefully.
Happy Monday, everyone.
It’s just because I like you!
I know Will. And thank you. But posting how much you love me, and can’t stop thinking about me, and can’t stand to be apart from me, even for a single day, every ten minutes for the past 3 hours…well…it’s creeping EVERYONE out, not just me. I would hate to have to give you the, “I need some space,” talk here publicly on Tumblr, but it might come to that.
A better question is: Why would you NOT need more ornaments?
Agreed. Just went to see if I could find the TARDIS String of Lights on ThinkGeek, but they appear to be completely wiped from their website. I thought they would have been a splendid addition to the Yodas. =(
If the entire Helms-deep clan was given an all expense paid vacation, where would it be to? The catch: it has to be outside of North America.
A villa in Italy. Close to wineries. And water. Someplace we could just relax and enjoy the beauty of the countryside. And the food. And the wine.
- I miss my family. And this whole van/car/laptop thing is throwing a huge wrench in my ability to see them next month. Not gonna deny that it’s got me feeling pretty down and not my normal, jovial, happy-go-lucky self. “They” all say that “this too shall pass,” so I’m going to choose to listen to “them” and just keep swimming.
- Due to the ongoing family drama that is plaguing Stacie’s family, I have lost a deep amount of respect for some of them. Not good.
- I could eat a Oreo Peanut Butter Malt every day. It might be my favorite thing ever. But, I’m already plump enough.
- I really want to get out to see and meet some more of you before the end of the year, but sadly, Project IRL will have to pick back up in 2013.
And some of you asked for the Southern Buttermilk Biscuit recipe. Here it is! Note: I can’t stress enough how important it is to follow this recipe closely for the best results, especially to get the awesomely tall and fluffy result. The dough WILL be wet, but don’t worry. It will turn out great!
Hope Tuesday has been Tuesday-riffic for the rest of you.
This was a very difficult decision. Let me tell you how I went about it. Basically, I’ve spent the last couple of days going back through my dash from the point I mentioned I was going to do this fun little thing. I then used the awesome “bookmark” feature in Missing E to mark the posts that I enjoyed the most so I could easily get back to them. At that point, I had right around 90 posts that not only met the criteria (it had to be original content), but that had a certain something that just did it for me. I also only took one entry per person, even though some of you had multiples before the reckoning. I honestly can’t tell you what exactly I was looking for, because the content of these posts are all over the place. Some are funny, some are touching, some are photos, some are touchingly funny photos. Anyway, I had to essentially just start whittling away, and came up with these 10 posts that have now made the final cut. Here they are in no particular order:
- “Two Women” (not what you think) - Lady of the House
- “Dickbat.com Cake” (also, not what you think) - Bake With a Vengeance
- “Receiver’s Attempt to Suck Up to Me” - Receiver
- “Commentary on The Ultimate Matrix Collection” - MMLTD
- “Avi Options (a.k.a. The Ultimate Face Spam Post)” - Woman Interrupted
- “Well, this is awkward…” - glitterbubbles
- “GPOY Continued Wedding Spam + Body Image” - Life in the Blue House
- “Also, this happened last night” (if you follow Will, this is also not what you think) - Section9
- “Chloe Eating Cake Pops” - Evan’s Blog
- “I eat babies so you don’t have to” - Baffled in Brooklyn
Quite a diverse group of posts. But, as they say in The Highlander, there can be only one. I’ll be making a little video of picking the winner out of a hat here soon.
Happy Friday, everyone!